Sunday, May 28, 2006

Jogja Earthquake

This morning, I just arrived from Jogja. My head is still full with headache and people screaming....

Saturday morning, I and my wife were in 2nd floor to make some Merapi pictures. Suddenly, I felt that someone / something was shaking the house. Then I felt big headache. We didn't know what exacly happened at that momment. I just realized that big earthquake was happen at 5.53 am.

We step down quickly and then I saw many people screaming, many children were crying. Everybody thought that Merapi erupted. But I think this earthquake was not volcanic, it was tectonic (based on my experience and teory when I was in university) The situation was very crowded at that time. No electricity, no communication (signal was full but there were traffic signal)

I and my family just sit down on the ground and couldn't do anything. We were still afraid if another earthquake would happen.

I tried to find some information by using "ORARI" and I found that it was tectonic earthquake that happened.

After this, I was very busy to tell to everyone that Tsunami wouldn't be happen because more than 20 minutes after earthquake there was no information about mean sea level.

But suddenly, some bad people yeld that tsunami happened and the water was very big. They told that a half of Jogja City was drowning. People were panic again, they tried to go far away from their house. All Jogja people were panic.

I tried to stay calm about these news. I thought that these news just rubbish an hoaxx...but all my family were panic also. I just told to my family. It was better if we stay at home because we had 2nd floor. And It would take high risk if we follow some people to go out because it will be a huge amount of traffic jam and people couldn't go everywhere.

We just stay at home for 2 - 3 hours, after this I tried to look around Jogja. I saw a lot of hopeless people. They just looked their houses those have been destroyed by earthquake. The hospitals were very busy and overload. The doctors treated patients with unstandard equipment....

Poor Jogja, my lovely city. I just wanted to stay any longer in Jogja. But my wife told me that she was very afraid with the earthquake. Then we decided went back to Jakarta last night. That was the end of my holiday in Jogja...not satisfy but I found a great experiences and all of my family and my house were save.

No comments: